Labels

Friday, November 21, 2014

Beyond the Lights

I went into this movie hoping to be entertained and at times I was.  But it was very similar to Kevin Costner’s movie the Bodyguard with Whitney Houston, and I found myself making comparisons throughout. 
It stars Nate Parker as Kaz, a police officer with aspirations of becoming a politician, Gugu Mbatha-Raw as Noni, a well-liked pop singer who was exploited by everyone as a sex object, Minnie Driver as Macy Jean, Noni’s mother and manager, and Danny Glover as Kaz’s dad who was also a police officer.
Noni was raised by her mother to be no less than perfect at all times.  As a child, they travelled around to talent contests.  If Noni did not come in first, it just wasn’t good enough.  But all of her hard work paid off, as she becomes a pop idol superstar.  However, being a celebrity comes at a price and being exploited gets to her.  She attempts to jump off of a balcony but is saved by Kaz, who had been filling in as her personal protector.  They hit it off, and become a couple much to Noni’s mother’s chagrin.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw is a terrific singer and I truly enjoyed listening to her sing.  Her acting skills were fantastic as well.  Of course Minnie Driver and Danny Glover played their parts perfectly also.  I just thought the story line could have been less predictable.  This movie was better than The Bodyguard but I wanted more than I got.  I gave this movie 2 out of 4 stars.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment